The West Indies selectors have left out Jamaican batsman Jermaine Blackwood from their starting team for today’s first Test against Pakistan at Sabina Park. Making their Test debuts are Guyana’s Vishaul Singh and Shimron Hetmyer. Singh who has performed well in regional four-day first-class tournaments for the past two seasons, as well as with the West Indies A team, scored a century against the Pakistanis in a tour match in Trelawny last weekend. Hetmyer, who captained West Indies Under-19s to the ICC World Cup title last year, made 97 in the same match. The other reserve from the West Indies 13-member squad is Barbadian fast bowler Miguel Cummins. Pakistan have won the toss and elected to field. WEST INDIES – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Vishal Singh, Shane Dowrich, Roston Chase, Devendra Bishoo, Alzarri Joseph, Shannon Gabriel PAKISTAN – Misbah-ul-Haq (captain), Azhar Ali, Ahmed Shehzad, Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed, Mohammad Amir, Yasir Shah, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Abbas.
MOST READ Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener PLAY LIST 01:14Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener00:50Trending Articles05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMacky Cariño is no stranger to championship glory, he did led College of St. Benilde to the NCAA women’s volleyball title two seasons ago, but he is now in charge of a program a legendary figure left behind.The former Blazers head coach is now the man in charge of the volleyball program of University of Perpetual Help after the iconic Sammy Acaylar left the school to focus solely on the national team, and Cariño has a lot of catching up to do.ADVERTISEMENT Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson LaVar says all Ball brothers will be on Lakers by 2020 Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Acaylar led Perpetual to 10 men’s titles and three women’s titles but the school is on a five-year championship drought, a dry spell Cariño hopes to break one step at a time.“Our initial goal is to make the Final Four,” said Cariño.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkCSB failed to enter the playoffs last season.Cariño will make his debut against Lyceum on Sunday, 11 a.m., at Filoil Flying V Centre. Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
View comments Victolero will take home the coveted Virgilio “Baby” Dalupan trophy from the group of sportswriters that regularly covers the PBA beat following the work he did the Hotshots last year that culminated with a championship in the season-ending Governors Cup.The 43-year-old Victolero of Sta. Maria, Bulacan, beat out Barangay Ginebra counterpart Tim Cone and Austria, winner of the award the past three seasons, in a tight, three-way fight for the individual honor that serves as the highlight of the special two-hour event presented by Cignal TV.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsAll three coaches won a championship each last year, but Victolero’s Magnolia roster obviously is the least superior of the three ballclubs under the umbrella of the San Miguel Corporation.In just his second year at the helm of the Hotshots, Victolero won his first PBA title and broke Magnolia’s four-year championship drought following its 2014 Grand Slam season. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award A new champion coach in the PBA. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netIt took a coach who overcame huge odds and won his first PBA title to end the three-year reign of San Miguel Beer’s Leo Austria.Magnolia mentor Chito Victolero will be hailed Coach of the Year during the 25th anniversary presentation of the PBA Press Corps Annual Awards Night on Monday at Novotel Manila Araneta Center.ADVERTISEMENT Team Lakay’s Joshua Pacio yields ONE strawweight title to Yosuke Saruta Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra MOST READ Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ The No. 4 seed Hotshots toppled the top-seeded and two-time defending champion Kings in the semifinals and then overcame Best Import Mike Harris and the third-seeded Alaska Aces in the finals.During the Philippine Cup, Victolero finally made it past the semifinals after three straight Final Four trips the previous season but lost to the powerhouse Beermen in the Finals as the Hotshots made do with a depleted roster.Aside from Austria, Cone was also a Coach of the Year awardee in the past along with Chot Reyes, the only five-time winner, Yeng Guiao, Jong Uichico, Ryan Gregorio, Derrick Pumaren, Perry Ronquillo, Boyet Fernandez, Siot Tanquingcen, Luigi Trillo, and the late Ron Jacobs.Victolero shares the limelight with other awardees in the Jan. 21 affair that includes Danny Floro Executive of the Year winner Alfrancis Chua.RELATED VIDEOADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college
On the final day of business prior to the holiday weekend, the Tory government House Leader introduced another crime bill in the federal Commons. Jay Hill, whose is also the Prince George/Peace River MP, says this legislation is designed to modernize criminal procedure and make the justice system more effective and efficient. Among other things the bill would create a new offence, to help prevent individuals from fleeing a province or territory, in order to avoid prosecution. – Advertisement -Another provision would streamline the identification process in police stations, by allowing fingerprinting and photographing of persons, in lawful custody, as they await charges or convictions for specific offences. For an online version of the legislation you can check: www.parl.gc.ca
Meantime, the teacher’s rotating strikes will resume tomorrow in Victoria, and then extend across the province’s other 59 school districts the following three days. While the B.C. Teachers Federation plans to hold its full-scale rank and file strike vote today and tomorrow, the B.C. Public School Employers’ are seeking a Labor Relations Board order to design all services required to complete grade 10 – 12 essential, including the completion of exams and report cards. “The Ministry of Education and the British Columbia Public School Employers Association want to assure parents that every effort is being made to ensure the strike does not disadvantage students, not delay their transition to the next grade or on to post-secondary,” a report from the Ministry of Education reads. The ministry and employers association are arguing that serious and immediate damage will be caused to secondary students’ educational programs if final grades are not compiled.- Advertisement -Premier Christy Clark says a full-scale walk out is not a necessary tool for bargaining.“Bargaining can happen without job action,” argues Clark” “…My hope would be that the union would come to the table ready to bargain, we can get it solved, and that’s what would put all of this behind us.”Clark adds she has no plans to meet with Iker at this time.Advertisement
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88“If I were a candidate, I would try to reach out to Marco’s supporters and he had a significant amount of prominent Democratic supporters,” Smith said. Some of those include state Sens. Martha Escutia, D-Norwalk, and Gloria Romero and Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina. The area represented by Firebaugh when he was in the Assembly – Bell Gardens, Cudahy and Huntington Park – also could be said to be important territory, he said. “The people from Marco’s district will have to look at the other two candidates,” Smith said. “They may or may not be familiar with Mr. Calderon or Mr. Bermudez.” Caroline Heldman, associate professor of political science at Whittier College, said she still expects the race to be hard fought. “It feels like a race between an up-and-coming Democrat star \ who has made good use of the media during his time in office versus an established statesman who brings with the mantle of a successful political family name.” FIREBAUGH SERVICES: A rosary recitation and viewing will be held at 7 p.m. Sunday at La Placita Church, 535 N. Main St., Los Angeles. A memorial Mass will be held at 9 a.m. Monday at Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, 555W. Temple St., Los Angeles. Burial will follow at Rose Hills Cemetery, 3888 S. Workman Mill Road, Whittier. A reception will be held at Tamayo’s Restaurant, 5300 E. Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles. In lieu of flowers, the family is respectfully requesting that donations be made to the Marco Antonio Firebaugh Scholarship Fund administered by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF). Checks can be sent to MALDEF, Attn. Firebaugh Scholarship, 634 S. Spring St., 11th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90014. For more information, call (213) 629-2512. PARTY ENDORSEMENTS: Democratic Party officials will meet at 2 p.m. April 2 to decide on primary endorsements for the 56th and 58th Assembly, 30th state Senate and 39th Congressional districts. The meeting will be held at the Pico Park conference room, 9528 Beverly Blvd., Pico Rivera. Only delegates are allowed to vote, but the public is allowed to observe. MOISA ACTIVITIES: Whittier City Council candidate Alex Moisa will hold three events this week. From 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. today, Moisa will meet with voters at the home of Luz Herrera, 7005 Duchess Drive. He will meet voters from 6to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the home of Maurgerite Hill. A cocktail party for Moisa will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. April1 at 8318 La Sierra. For more information, call Dorothy Carras, (562)696-1782. Mail items for It’s Politics to the Whittier Daily News, P.O. Box 581, Whittier, CA 90608; fax to (562) 698-0450; phone (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Editor’s note: It’s Politics reports Saturdays on the ins and outs of Whittier-area politics and city government.The death of former Assemblyman Marco Firebaugh of Whittier on Tuesday has dramatically changed the complexion of the 30th state Senate District Democratic primary for the two remaining candidates. It probably offers opportunities to Assemblymen Rudy Bermudez of Norwalk, and Ron Calderon of Montebello, said party officials and a political science professor. For starters, it puts the many Firebaugh supporters up for grabs, said John Smith of La Mirada, a state Democratic Party region director.
FINN VALLEY CENTRE5 DAY EASTER MULTI –ACTIVITYCAMP 2012 Who: Boys and Girls aged 5 – 12 yearsWho are off on their Easter HolidaysWhere: Finn Valley Athletic and Astro-TurfComplex Stranorlar What: Fun filled Games including Soccer, GaelicFootball, Rugby, Hockey, Athletics, Bowls andmany many more Multi-Activity GamesAlso featuring Irelands Largest Bouncy CastleWhen: Monday 2nd to Friday 6th April 2012 9.30 to 2.00 pmWhy: why not?Cost: €50 per child, Family rates Available 1st Child €50 2nd Child €40, 3rd Child €30 etc.For Further enquiries or information Please call Finn Valley Centre on (074) 91 32053 or Email email@example.com FINN VALLEY CENTRE 5 DAY EASTER MULTI-ACTIVITY CAMP LAUNCHED was last modified: February 25th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FINN VALLEY CENTRE 5 DAY EASTER MULTI-ACTIVITY CAMP LAUNCHED
DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness leads his side against Tyrone in the much-anticipated Ulster SFC semi-final at Clones on Sunday.You can watch a full preview interview with Jim on our video, brought to you by jacskonmedia.tv. DDTV: DONEGAL V TYRONE: VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH JIM McGUINNESS was last modified: June 25th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegal v tyronejacksonmedia.tivjacskonmedia.tvJim McGuinness
Donegal Senator Jimmy Harte has launched a stinging attack on fellow Donegal politician Charlie McConalogue.Senator Harte is furious at Deputy McConalogueFianna Fail Deputy McConalogue described a proposal by the Labour Party’s Aodhán Ó Riordáin to cut chaplaincy services from VECs and community schools as the latest front in the party’s ‘Culture War’, criticising the plan as ‘typically myopic and mean spirited’.But Letterkenny-based Senator Harte said “The antics of FF and Mc Conalogue are not surprising in light of their record on their performance whilst in government over the generations “He is scaremongering and trying to use the Church and the people of Donegal to make a poor political point.“The opinion of one Labour TD in Dublin has no bearing on the forthcoming budget and the deputy knows that. He is trying to link a proposal by a TD to government policy.”He added “This type of politics by Deputy Mc Conalogue has no place in local or national discussion.“There are no plans to change any arrangement with the chaplain service in educational institutions. “I would describe Deputy Mc Conalugues rambling as cognitive flatulence.” HARTE LAUNCHES SCATHING ATTACK ON McCONALOGUE FOR ‘MISLEAIDNG THE PUBLIC” was last modified: September 3rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Daniel fights back tears as he describes his wife Majella’s battle with cancer.Daniel O’Donnell broke down in tears on the Late Late Show as he spoke about his wife Majella’s battle with cancer.The normally ice-cool singer was overcome with emotion as he recounted the moment he realised his wife’s cancer was for real.Daniel, 51, said he was watching Majella having her hair shaved on the Late Late Show when the enormity of what she was doing struck him. The Donegal star choked back tears to host Ryan Tubridy as he revealed “For some reason she was driven to do it and she didn’t know that the cancer society had that shortfall in funds. Everything happens for a reason.“For the first time I felt I knew she was sick. But I suppose we realised that some people are not as lucky as we are and there are so many people that don’t get the good result.“When I saw her sitting there and I saw her speaking I was amazed at her composure and her ability to keep going and to explain everything.“She had researched so much and then to see her and the hair being shaved off and that was the time I realised that this really is it.” He revealed that he and his wife have received huge support since going public on Majella’s battle with the disease.He also revealed how the couple had discussed cancelling his tour of America but Majella said that would be letting the cancer win.“The feeling we had by continuing on the tour was that we were in control of the cancer and the cancer was not in control of us.”He said that although it was hard to be away, he felt like he couldn’t do much for his wife by being by her side.“She will say that she couldn’t explain the feeling the treatment gave her. Every one of them was different. She reacted differently to all of them. “She said that even if I was there all the time I would have been no help to her. Irrespective of what family support, of what medcial support, I think the act of treatment of cancer is a solitary journey.“Of course we can support them but we cannot at any time take away whatever sickness, whatever feeling. It’s not even a feeling she can still describe other than she says it just messes with her head,” he said.He said he called her after the show and told her how fantastic she looked without the hair.The chart-topper also said that he was delighted that Majella has come out of his shadow and that some people now know him as Majella O’Donnell’s husband. “Before I went to Branson I wrote her a wee note. I have known her since 1999 and I told her I was so pleased she had come out from behind my shadow for everyone to know the person I know,” he added.And with the prognosis very bright for Majella’s condition Daniel said he knows that they are among the lucky ones.DANIEL BREAKS DOWN ON LATE LATE AS HE RECALLS MAJELLA’S BATTLE WITH CANCER was last modified: December 14th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:cancerdaniel o’donnellLate Late ShowMajellawife