About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri frustrated after West Ham setbackby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFulham boss Claudio Ranieri felt they let themselves down for defeat to West Ham.After an encouraging start to the game, two first-half goals against the run of play from the Hammers did all the damage and gave the visitors maximum points at Craven Cottage. “I think that our half first was the best,” said Ranieri.“We created a lot of chances and shot at goal a lot. Of course, in the second half, two-nil against a team full of confidence, with experienced players, it was very difficult for us. We showed a very good will, but it wasn’t enough.“I’m disappointed about the two goals we conceded, but also when we missed chances – we shot at goal sixteen times.“We need to be more effective and have to score. They created two counter attacks and they scored. We created something more, but we didn’t score.“I can’t say anything today because they tried to do their best. Of course, when you play against a team with experience, quality and confidence, you try to do your best and we tried, but after two counter-attacks, they scored twice.“In the second-half, it was difficult. They have experienced players and slowed down the tempo. Every time we looked to create, we became a little more nervous to score a goal.“When you play a team who take one or two touches, it’s difficult to press – we ran a lot.“I saw my players fighting until the end, until the last second. When they slowed the tempo, took possession and moved the ball, it’s not easy.”
Chelsea tell Barcelona to forget Christensen dealby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea plan to reject any offers for Andreas Christensen. Reports earlier on Wednesday claimed Barcelona have made an approach for the Danish centre-back, who has found himself on the fringes of Maurizio Sarri’s squad this season.However, Sky Sports say Chelsea are not interested in parting with the 22-year-old.The Catalan giants were interested in signing Christensen on loan with a permanent deal in mind at the end of the season.Christensen has voiced his frustration at his current situation at Stamford Bridge and could still push the club for a move.Chelsea reportedly value Christensen and do not want to part with a player who they have helped develop since he was a teenager. TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks: Use Madrid heartache as motivationby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham midfielder Harry Winks says they can take inspiration from last season’s run to the Champions League final.Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool cruised to a 2-0 victory after taking the lead inside the first three minutes in Madrid in June.Winks said: “We know, getting to the Champions League final, there is going to be high pressure on us getting there again and maybe to go one further and win it.“We don’t read too much into that, we take it game by game.“So our first thought is Olympiakos on Wednesday, we have to take that game as it comes and then hopefully we can get a result.”He added: “When you get that close to winning the final, it is upsetting and disappointing.“There is no better way than trying to go one step further like Liverpool did.“It is obviously everyone’s dream to get back there but we can’t look too far into the future, it is all about taking it game by game and hopefully we can pick up as many wins as possible.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Newcastle eyeing Trabzonspor goalkeeper Ugurcan Cakirby Paul Vegas12 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United are eyeing Trabzonspor goalkeeper Ugurcan Cakir.It is thought Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal are all interested in the 23-year-old stopper.61 Saat says the Toon have sent scouts over to Turkey to watch him in action.He is worth an estimated £17million and has been an ever-present for the Turkish outfit this season.Cakir has not kept a clean sheet all season, from 13 appearances in all competitions.His side sit third in the Turkish Super Lig and are without a win in their Europa League group.
Texas A&M advanced to the Sweet 16 tonight thanks to an epic comeback victory over Northern Iowa. The Aggies erased a 12-point deficit in the final 44 seconds of regulation to send the game to overtime, where they would eventually win.Following the victory, Aggie players jumped into the crowd to sing the school fight song and celebrate with giddy fans. Video: Ecstatic Aggies and the Aggie War Hymn following 2OT win over Northern Iowa: pic.twitter.com/UmqPBq3VNX— Brent Zwerneman (@BrentZwerneman) March 21, 2016 What an incredible night for A&M.
AC Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso joined Napoli counterpart Carlo Ancelotti in calling on referees to suspend matches marred by racism.Senegal international Kalidou Koulibaly was allegedly the subject of racist chants during Napoli’s loss to Inter at San Siro on Boxing Day.Ancelotti claimed the visitors asked three times for the game to be called off and suggested the Partenopei would “stop play ourselves” the next time an incident occurred. Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Gattuso echoed his former coach’s demands for a zero-tolerance stance.”I could not agree more with what Ancelotti said,” Gattuso told Milan TV.”Certainly we’re not the only nation where these things happen. Just look at England, which has a great sporting culture.”I think it’s time for football to stop, for the games to be interrupted. We have to improve, it’s almost 2019. Too often there are four idiots starting these chants.”I don’t think Italy is a racist country, because there are so many immigrants. It’s right that games are halted.”Players including Cristiano Ronaldo and Inter captain Mauro Icardi have publicly condemned racism in the aftermath of the ugly episode.Liverpool star Mohamed Salah also shared a message of support for Koulibaly, posting a picture of himself in action against the defender on Twitter and writing: “There’s no place for racism in football. There’s no place for racism anywhere at all.”There’s no place for racism in football. There’s no place for racism anywhere at all. pic.twitter.com/d2YwWSbXJe— Mohamed Salah (@MoSalah) December 27, 2018All eyes will be on Serie A this weekend as the last round of fixtures takes place before the Italian winter break takes effect, bringing the 2018 calendar to a close.AC Milan host SPAL on Saturday evening, while Napoli are also in action against Bologna on the same day.
Gabriel Jesus has changed his shirt number at Manchester City, with the Brazil international striker to wear No.9 from the 2019-20 campaign.The South American arrived at the Etihad Stadium in the winter transfer window of 2017.He took No.33 at that stage, with none of the regular striking shirts available. Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Sergio Aguero is very much the No.10 at City, with the Argentine frontman still a prolific presence for the Blues.When Jesus was signed, Nolito had number nine but he has since moved on, freeing Jesus to step into his shoes.The City star has told the club’s official website: “It will be an honour to wear the City number nine shirt and I’ll do so with great pride.“I hope to score many goals wearing this jersey and help City to more trophies in the coming seasons.“It’s the number I wear with Brazil and as always, I’ll be giving everything for City when I’m wearing it.”Jesus has netted 45 goals in 100 appearances for City so far.He was not a guaranteed starter in the 2018-19 season, but made a telling contribution when called upon.A personal best return of 21 efforts across all competitions were recorded, including two in an FA Cup final destruction of Watford that wrapped up a historic domestic treble for City.The hope is that there are many more goals to come.Jesus had sparked exit talk at one stage, with it suggested that he may look to move on with Aguero established as the first choice frontman under Pep Guardiola.The 22-year-old has seemingly brought that speculation to a close with his change of number.Jesus will be hoping to fare better in the No.9 shirt than some of those to have filled it for City in the recent past, with the likes of Nolito, Alvaro Negredo, Valeri Bojinov and Emile Mpenza among his predecessors.The jersey has not always been a curse, though, with cult icons Paulo Wanchope and Paul Dickov having also been City No.9s, while Emmanuel Adebayor and Niall Quinn have also donned that shirt during the Premier League era.
Frank Lampard met the first members of his Chelsea squad as they arrived at Cobham Training Centre for medical tests and a meeting with their new head coach ahead of their pre-season preparations.The group then immediately flew out to Dublin where they will take part in their first two of their seven pre-season matches against Bohemians and St Patrick’s Athletic.Chelsea will then fly to Japan to take on Kawasaki Frontale and Barcelona, before returning to Europe for away friendlies with Reading, Red Bull Salzburg and Borussia Mönchengladbach ahead of their opening match of the season away at Manchester United in the Premier League. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Lampard has already spoken of his desire to give youth a chance next season, as he contends with the club’s two-window transfer ban that has been imposed by FIFA. He will bring back a host of loanees including Michy Batshuayi, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Kurt Zouma who have travelled to Dublin.Further loan stars such as Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Izzy Brown will be with the squad on Sunday or Monday, while further first-teamers are going to be brought back in stages.Former Wigan Athletic loanee and Player of the Season Reece James is recovering well from ankle ligament damage and he is racing to be on the plane for the Japanese friendlies after already being told that the club isn’t yet looking to loan him out next season.Lampard detailed that anyone will have a chance to break through into his team next season, including Danny Drinkwater, who didn’t play a competitive match under Maurizio Sarri last season.“Everybody who joins up to train, and it will be staggered, will have the opportunity to show what they can do their attitude, the way they play and train in pre-season onwards,” Lampard told journalists at Stamford Bridge.”I would be a fool to come here with ideas about I’m going to freeze anybody out, I want to get the best out of the squad. Everybody has an opportunity.”I have no pre-conceived ideas about anybody, I have got a good knowledge of the squad but I need to see them over the next month.”Lampard has had a busy week since returning to his former club where he fully agreed his deal on Tuesday, before coming into have meetings on Wednesday and then he was unveiled as the new Chelsea boss to the media on Thursday.Chelsea squad in Dublin: Willy Caballero, Cesar Azpilicueta, Davide Zappacosta, Kurt Zouma, Ethan Ampadu, Danny Drinkwater, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Kenedy, Pedro, Michy Batshuayi, Lewis Baker, Kasey Palmer, Trevoh Chalobah, Dujon Sterling, Lucas Piazon, Fikayo Tomori, Jamie Cumming, Marc Guehi, Conor Gallagher, Ike Ugbo, Billy Gilmour, Ian Maatsen Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Marcos Llorente, Joao Felix and Diego Costa were the difference as LaLiga outfit Atletico Madrid beat the MLS All-Stars 3-0 in Orlando on Wednesday.Llorente put Atletico ahead prior to half-time before substitutes Joao Felix and Diego Costa helped preserve the team’s unbeaten pre-season.After lightning delayed kick-off at Exploria Stadium, Atletico came out and won an evenly contested fixture thanks to midfielder Llorente, who latched onto a Rodrigo Riquelme backheel before finding the back of the net. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Big-money signing Joao Felix then added a second in the 85th minute after Nick Rimando failed to deal with the Atletico sensation’s shot from outside the penalty area, while Costa made it 3-0 deep into stoppage time.The All-Star team was headlined by plenty of star power, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Wayne Rooney, Nani and Carlos Vela all in the starting XI, while Bastian Schweinsteiger was on the bench. @marcosllorente & Riquelme ¡Gran jugada y golazo!#AúpaAtleti #AtletiSummerTour #MLSAllstar pic.twitter.com/Z0v8fFJXlv— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) August 1, 2019Atletico named the likes of Joao Felix, Costa, Koke, Saul Niguez, Thomas Lemar and Jan Oblak among the substitutes following their incredible 7-3 demolition of Real Madrid last week.And the absence of Atletico’s stars contributed to a first half with clear-cut opportunities few and far between in Orlando.Brad Guzan made a decent save in the 15th minute, getting down low to deny Atletico’s Carlos Isaac from distance.Rooney almost opened the scoring for the All-Stars with a ferocious long-range effort that fizzed just over the crossbar approaching the half-hour mark..@WayneRooney inches from adding to the fireworks here in Orlando. #MLSAllStar Game pres. by @Targetpic.twitter.com/zhMc7blDfe— Major League Soccer (@MLS) August 1, 2019Atletico managed to break the deadlock two minutes prior to half-time when Riquelme’s stunning backheel played in Llorente, who finished past substitute keeper Andre Blake.There were a host of changes before and after half-time, and the All-Stars had two decent opportunities to restore parity inside nine minutes of the restart.Diego Rossi’s volley flashed just wide of the post and into the side-netting, while Nicolas Lodeiro was denied by the onrushing Atletico goalkeeper Antonio Adan in the 54th minute.Space opened for Gonzalez Martinez in the centre of the penalty area but he side-footed over the bar with 12 minutes remaining and the All-Stars continued to press as Ezequiel Barco’s free-kick was pushed away by Oblak.Joao Felix then put the result beyond doubt thanks to some help from Rimando, who failed to keep out the 19-year-old’s strike, before the Portuguese star set up Costa for Atletico’s third in the 93rd minute. read more
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard says he plans to be patient with Christian Pulisic after the USMNT winger was only named as a substitute for their season opener at Manchester United.With the Blues currently serving a transfer ban, Pulisic is the only new signing at Chelsea this summer after his £58 million ($73m) switch from Borussia Dortmund was agreed in January.Lampard opted against handing Pulisic a start in his first competitive match in charge of the club on Sunday, choosing instead to field Pedro and Ross Barkley in the wide areas with England youngster Mason Mount in support of forward Tammy Abraham. Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Pulisic eventually did make it onto the field in the 58th minute when he replaced England international Barkley. Chelsea were already 1-0 down at that stage courtesy of a first half penalty from Marcus Rashford.Pulisic had little time to make an impact on the game before United doubled their lead through Anthony Martial on 66 minutes.Further breakaway goals from Rashford and debutant Daniel James completed a sobering afternoon for Chelsea at Old Trafford, with the final 4-0 scoreline the heaviest ever opening-day league defeat in the club’s 104-year history.Speaking after the game Lampard revealed his reasons behind his team selection and his plans for Pulisic going forward.”Christian Pulisic is 20 years old and he’s come across from Dortmund. He will be a fantastic player for the club. He has got great ability. You saw little moments with his acceleration on the ball,” Lampard told reporters.”But I have also got other options in midfield and in those areas, and I don’t want to stick Christian straight into the fire without trying to help him along the way. It was one of those games where I felt it was better to start with Ross [Barkley] and Mason [Mount], who have been very strong in pre-season, and bring Christian on.”If the game had carried on at 1-0, or we were back in the game as we should have been, he would have been a great injection. In the end it was difficult for him because the game went quickly away from us.”