first_imgFROM THE FISHBOWL Days 2 & 3 – Senior’s With the smell of Dencorub lingering in the air and the sound of elastoplast being torn from the roll, the action on day 2 promised to be electrifying. The spirit amongst the competitors is what sets this tournament apart from all the others. It’s all about the friendships forged, old rivalries re-visited, the memories reminisced and those classic stories just getting longer and longer and longer. The old adage of `The older I get, the better I was’ really rings true at this time of year. Extra significance to day 2, with St Patricks Day bringing a feeling of celebration to the tournament. Apparently several players were over heard exclaiming they couldn’t wait to play so they could get to the pub for some celebratory pints of Guiness. All of this was upstaged by a tremendous storm which rolled into town three timeslots from the end. As the thunder rolled and the lightning struck nearby, the electrifying Men’s 35’s and Men’s 40’s ducked for cover having their games stopped at the halfway point due to the dangerous situation. Referee’s and players, usually natural enemies, cowered together under the nearest cover to avoid becoming `Touchy Fricasee’. As the heavens opened, at least 2 Sydney Harbours worth of water flowed onto the stadium, making for scenes straight out of CASTAWAY, I swear the FISHBOWL actually saw a volleyball looking strangely like Wilson slipping over the southern scoreline for a well earned touchdown. With the strained cries of “Wilson, Wilson” echoing through the stands, the players left with an early mark allowing them time for those Guiness. The FISHBOWL witnessed the beauty and the irony of nature when two ducks decided that there was enough water on Field 1 for a water top landing. After the first came to a graceful floating halt, the second followed for an inglorious attempt. Having hit the surface he floated a short distance before hitting a dry spot. This caused him to topple over and roll for a few paces before righting himself and shaking his head vigorously. It truly looked like he glanced around nonchalantly in the hope of looking cool in case any other ducks had seen him. It would appear that being cool is important throughout the whole animal kingdom. However, Day 3 has been a totally different story with the games on the stadium fields being moved outside to give the playing surface time to recover. This was a strange feeling for the FISHBOWL looking at the green grass, all alone, no one to pick on, until Willy the Wag Tail entered the picture, standing at a stout 4 inches tall he came up against the might of Larry the Lawn Beetle in a thrilling encounter. Willy had Larry’s measure until a freak flying mishap saw Willy cramp in the left wing crashing to the ground in agony. Luckily the on-site veterinarian (Usually used to treat the NTL dinosaurs) was on to provide much needed tweatment. See ya’ when we’re looking at ya’!last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *